As extreme weather events become more frequent, hurricanes are a growing concern for homeowners in Florida. These devastating storms bring intense winds, heavy rain, and the potential for significant property damage, personal injury, emotional stress, and financial burdens. In addition, hurricanes can affect the value of properties, community infrastructure, and the environment. This prompts a vital question for homeowners: what can be done to protect one’s property and loved ones? Our experts at Home Safety Solutions are here to help.
Protecting Your Home with Hurricane Screens
Hurricane screens are strategically designed to serve as a protective shield for your home during extreme weather conditions. Their principal function is to safeguard your property and loved ones from the perils of a hurricane. They have endless benefits:
Mitigate Potential Property Damage: When a hurricane strikes, flying debris is one of the most significant sources of property damage. Windows and glass doors are particularly vulnerable.
- Hurricane screens act as a barrier that absorbs and deflects the impact of flying objects, such as branches or debris from the wind.
- By protecting your windows and doors, they also help to maintain the structural integrity of your home. A breached window can allow wind to enter, increasing internal pressure and potentially leading to severe structural damage.
- The screens are designed to remain intact and functional after a storm, meaning they can be used repeatedly, unlike traditional plywood boards, which may have to be replaced after each storm.
Increase Safety for Inhabitants: Your home is your sanctuary, and safety is paramount:
- With hurricane screens installed, the risk of shattered glass injuring inhabitants is significantly reduced. This is especially important for families with children, elderly members, or pets.
- By preventing breaches in windows and doors, these screens also help to keep rain and storm-driven water out of your home, reducing the risk of water damage and mold growth.
- The screens can also provide a psychological sense of security, helping to reduce stress during a tense time. Potentially Decrease Insurance Premiums Due to Added Protection.
Investing in hurricane screens could also have financial benefits:
- Some insurance companies recognize the value of installing hurricane screens and may offer homeowners discounts on their premiums. This is because the screens can significantly reduce the risk of property damage, meaning fewer claims for the insurance company.
- Installing these screens could be proactive in ‘hurricane-proofing’ your home, making your property more appealing to potential buyers. This added appeal can help to maintain or even increase your home’s resale value.
- By potentially avoiding extensive repair costs after a storm due to preemptive protection, the screens pay for themselves over time.
Quality Material and Design
The fabric used in hurricane screens is incredibly resilient. Constructed from strong, durable synthetic fibers, these screens are designed to absorb impact without tearing. What does this mean for you?
- Enhanced Protection from Flying Debris: When a hurricane strikes, winds can exceed 100 miles per hour, turning everyday objects into dangerous projectiles.
- Absorbing Impact: These screens are made from an incredibly resilient material, often a blend of high-strength, UV-resistant fabric. This allows them to absorb the energy from flying debris, reducing the likelihood of it penetrating your home.
- Reducing Damage: The screens prevent debris from smashing windows or damaging your house’s facade. This can save homeowners significantly in terms of repair costs.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing that your home is fortified to resist flying debris can provide a profound sense of security as a storm approaches, allowing you and your family to focus on staying safe.
Preservation of the Aesthetic Quality of Your Home
Hurricane screens offer protection without compromising the look of your home. Here’s how:
- Subtle Design: Unlike bulky and unsightly plywood boards or metal shutters, hurricane screens are designed to be more visually discreet. They can blend seamlessly with the exterior of your home, preserving its curb appeal.
- You can see through them! You can still see the storm, when you cant with roll downs.
- No Permanent Changes Required: Many hurricane screens are designed to be removable or retractable. This means they can be deployed when a storm is imminent and stored away afterward, allowing your home to retain its normal appearance for most of the year.
- Lanai Protection: When deploying hurricane screens around your lanai you can effectively create an additional safe room that can house all potential wind projectiles such as outdoor furniture, plants, etc. reducing the threat of damaging the exterior of your walls and windows during the worst of the hurricane’s winds.
Hurricane screens not only offer robust protection from the elements but do so in a way that allows homeowners to preserve the structural and aesthetic integrity of their homes. It’s a solution that marries safety and practicality with consideration for the look and feel of your property—a true win-win as storms grow increasingly intense and frequent.
It’s not just about the fabric, though. The design of these screens is explicitly engineered to withstand hurricane conditions, ensuring you’re getting a product made to face nature’s fury.
Easy Installation and Storage
Contrary to popular belief, hurricane screens are relatively easy to install. For the homeowner, this means:
- Significatly lighter than plywood or galvanized steel panels
- Ability to quickly secure your home as a storm approaches
- Convenient storage options when screens are not needed
The screens’ easy setup and storage can make preparing for a storm less stressful, allowing you to focus on other essential tasks.
In a world where the frequency and intensity of hurricanes are on the rise, now is the time to consider how you can best protect your home and loved ones. Hurricane screens may well be the solution you’ve been searching for. Contact Home Safety Solutions, and our team will help you with the hurricane protection best suited for your home.